Wednesday, January 24, 2007

budget's (lack of)

I’m notorious for spending money. I don’t care how I got it, how much it is or what currency those dollars/yen/ pence are in, ill spend it. Infact, there have been friends/ acquaintances throughout my years who have suggested so much as to question my manhood. It is, by all accounts, a ‘problem’ I have faced for some years now. Last night was, however, my chance at redemption, at seizing the moment, the opportunity at taking back control of my finances and finally being able to say ‘Yeah, I have a mortgage but I sure as hell can afford it because I CAN budget’….

My story starts some 25 years ago, however, I will not bore you with my first words or first kiss or even my first alcoholic beverage, instead I will skip ahead 24 years to January of last year. This, my friends, is where things start to get interesting…



I had just finished my degree two months prior to this long awaited day so I had that gung-ho approach to life, ready to take on the ensuing challenges that would invariably be thrown my way. This warm, sunny January day would be the day that I packed up my life in little ol’ Brisbane and headed for the bright lights of California. I couldn’t imagine a better opportunity to grow up then by moving away from friends and family and into an unfamiliar environment.

Twelve months on from that uneventful flight over the Pacific I sit at my dining table. Signing over the last pages of a document that reads ‘Borrower’s Loan Document’. Yes, I have yet again gotten myself in some strife financially and under funded my bills and over funded my leisurely activities. I am now saddled with a loan on top of my mortgage. Due to these unfortunate and untimely circumstances I have now created a budget with the help of this very helpful web link (ignore the ‘Budgets are for sissies’ link!) - http://financialplan.about.com/msubbudg.htm

Now, I must go plan my trip to Hawaii!

No comments: