Thursday, March 08, 2007

Big Rocks

I’ve always been big on sports. My mum always said that I grew up with a ball in my hand. It didn’t matter if it was a tennis ball, basketball, football or cricket ball, so long as I had a ball I would toss it around and to be frank with you all; I probably spent a lot more time playing with balls (not those balls) then I did doing homework.

I never quite made it to the NBA like I had envisioned and I am certainly not paying off my mortgage by throwing any type of balls around. I know, it’s sad isn’t it? I am stuck in a life where I my dreams have been crushed.

All is not lost though. Fortunately I did have a back-up plan and so far I am living the back-up. In fact the only thing missing from ‘the dream’ is a contract with the Sacramento Kings so I can’t complain.

Back to the topic. Recently I realized that every sport I have attempted to master have been fairly risk free. There is no chance of me falling down and having my body crushed under the weight of itself playing basketball or having a limb ripped form its rightful place by striking a tennis ball.

I guess I have always thought that people who sky dive, climb rocks and glide through the air have come to the inevitable conclusion that they will die doing these ‘sports’ and have accepted that. Whether I am scared or I just don’t want to die; I have been reluctant to try any of these until recently.

A work-mate of mine is an avid boulderer/rock climber. He often goes to Yosemite National Park and climbs rocks. He and I work out religiously after work basically every day and he has come up with a devilish angle to get me out of my comfort zone and onto a big rock.

‘Its great for your back muscles’ he says. ‘It hits tiny areas you wouldn’t even think you had’ he pushes further, as I scan his desk for something to play with. I often go to his desk to play with his thumb thimble. You’d be amazed at what I can do with a thimble. ‘Those types of sports are too dangerous for me. How can you have fun when you know your life is hanging in the balance? If you let go its over’ I shoot back.

I try and make my way to his desk whenever my legs need a stretch or I have a question for him so this particular occasion was no different then the rest but it got me thinking. I’ve always been one to live on the edge. Spontaneous was always something I prided myself on being but living here in the States has taken some of that away from me. Maybe I needed something a little daring in my life. I trip to beautiful NY or an adventure through South America.

All a little too expensive right now, particularly now that I fly back to Australia in four weeks for my much anticipated vacation with friends and family. Instead I have decided to get on that rock and climb until I hit the top. For if I don’t, I shall plummet to the ground of the beginners rocks and be carried away to first aid to recount my 8 foot drop.

If I do happen to make it up safely I will be sure to snap a few pictures for you all, that is if the elevation of my climb doesn’t restrict my breathing.

4 comments:

jazz said...

i would KILL to visit australia!

and here you are saying you'd like to visit new york...

grass is always greener, isn't it?

Neily said...

I have been to NY twice so I know how green the grass is there and how good it smells!

It is absolutely my favourite city. The people are great, the atmosphere electric and never a quite moment.

I would love to live there!

Neily said...

*quiet*

jazz said...

just got back to read this.

i apologize in advance: i'm not good at conversations in comment strains. i have too much other stuff to do to keep on top of it!

just a warning...