Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Breaking up

I was minding my own business at Taco Bell. I rarely eat there because the food is suspiciously cheap and the ingredients have nutritional value of a rubber tire but today was different. Today I was looking for a new car. So a quick lunch was in order. My cousin who was to sell me his BMW X5 has now pulled his offer off the table, leaving me with little hope to find such a quality car for such a good deal.

As I was sitting in their dining room eating my soft chicken taco a young girl had sat down two tables infront of me. She was on the phone and talking to a friend. “Justin has brought this on himself. I’m sick of this”. She wasn’t happy with this Justin fellow and as I eavesdropped more it was obvious Justin was her doomed boyfriend.

There was another guy sitting a couple of tables from Drama Queen who it seemed was taking just as much interest as I was. He wasn’t trying to hide the fact that he was blatantly skewing his head to hear the conversation. I wouldn’t be surprised if he could hear the person on the other end of the line. “I’m doing it today” she said. “I am nervous but I have had the talk with myself, im ready”, leading me to believe she has some black paint under her eyes and a cape under the table for a quick escape.

Just as I was about to get up, Drama Queen sheiks “He’s here, I gotta go. Ill let you know how it goes”. This is getting interesting. Maybe I better take a few more bites of my taco. As breakup boy enters and sits, awkwardness ensues. Some smiles, some frowns but relative calm. She looks over breakup boy’s shoulder and catches me sneaking a peak. I turn away for only a second. This is like a real life Days of Our Lives and im a part of it.

Eavesdropper is almost falling off his chair; breakup boy is wondering why the tension and Drama Queen is trying to muster the courage for a clean breakup. Its never that easy it is? Someone always gets hurt and in this case poor breakup boy seems to be the victim of poor relationship management.

This continues for a good ten minutes. This would never happen in Days of Our Lives. Someone would be crying by now or saying they had sex with their brother/sister. I've had enough.

As I walk out it seems eavesdropper can’t bare it any longer either, although, instead of walking towards the door he walks toward the doomed couple and sadly yet proudly affirms to breakup boy “dude she’s breaking up with you bro”.

GASP! Did he? Oh my god! He did her dirty work!! She quickly turns to breakup boy and let’s a weird high pitched noise heard only at funerals and weddings where the groom says the wrong name at the alter. I can only see breakup boy from behind but I could see his body tense up, his shoulders roll forward and then let at a whimper that I think said “whaaa?”.

Eavesdropper was out the door at this time, myself not too far behind. I didn’t hear much else after that because I was already standing. I couldn’t sit back down again to hear the rest, unfortunately. Trust me, if I could have I would of grabbed a bag of popcorn and begged for a grand finish.

All I heard on the way out was “who the fuck was that Bec?”

“I have no idea” she sighs.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Hahaha! I so would have stayed to watch it all play out. Poor breakup boy!